Monday, March 15, 2010

Speaking a New Culture

I'm not ashamed to admit it -- I started this blog as a job hunter. Those broadcasting job-hunting advice love to warn, “Beware of your online presence!” I, on the other hand, was more concerned by my lack of online presence. (That, coupled with the fact that there are other Heather Daigles out there with Facebook profiles that scare me.) I wanted prospective employers to find me. The real me. Then they could decide if they liked me.

Well, one found me. And liked me. And I like them a whole heck of a lot.

So here I am, Director of Organizational Development for a boutique software consulting firm serving the Finance world. In just a tad bit over my head, and loving every minute. I find myself wearing many hats, engaging in instructional design, leading culture change initiatives, formulating recruiting plans, managing HR legal issues, and simply figuring out how to making working on our small, virtual team rock!

Now, I want to move beyond the job hunter voice. It was still my authentic voice, but it was restrained. It was self-conscious. It wanted so badly to make a good impression. But, I've found that, when I care too much, my ideas are self-edited before the fingers hit the keyboard. I've found freedom in my new gig, and it's time to celebrate!

I’m still sticking with my Speak the Culture theme, and I’m sure I’ll still write about intercultural, psychology, and human capital theories and models that are rocking my world. But I’ll also bring in work pursuits, my struggles and my innovations. I’ll reflect on the interesting dynamics of going virtual in a profession and role that is all about people and creating community.

I have a new culture to invent, to promote and to speak. I hope you’ll stick with me as I travel that path. I promise it will be an exciting ride!

1 comment:

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog